This is an interdisciplinary degree combining a solid selection of practical dance coursework and a protocol of management and entrepreneurial studies offered by the Williamson College of Business Administration. It is designed to provide skills applicable to teaching dance, with an understanding of basic practices related to creating or managing a small business, such as a dance studio or performance company.
Business/Management Sequence (25% of the major):
- BUS 1500: Exploring Business
- ENT 3700: Entrepreneurship – New Venture Creation
- MGT 3725: Fundamentals of Management
- ENT 4800: Entrepreneurship – Business Plan Development
- MKTG 3740: Professional Selling
- Plus one of the following three:
- MGT 3734: Human Resource Management
- MKTG 3703: Marketing Concepts and Practice
- PREL 3710: Basic Public Relations
Dance Sequence (54% of the major):
- DNCE 1540: Modern Dance 1
- DNCE 1541: Modern Dance 2
- DNCE 1542: Dance Composition
- DNCE 1550: Wellness for Actors and Dancers
- DNCE 1565: Topics in Dance
- DNCE 1570: Tap and Jazz 1
- DNCE 1571: Tap and Jazz 2
- DNCE 1572: Ballet 1
- DNCE 1573: Ballet 2
- DNCE 2606: Creative Dance for Children
- DNCE 2662: Practicum in Theater and Dance
- DNCE 2680: Tap Dance 3
- DNCE 2698: Survey of Dance (GENED certified)
- DNCE 3730: Music for Dance
- DNCE 3751: Modern Dance 3
- DNCE 3767: Choreography for Musical Theater
- DNCE 3770: Jazz Dance 3
- DNCE 3781: Ballet 3
- DNCE 4871: Jazz 4
- DNCE 4881: Ballet 4
- DNCE 4885: Dance Kinesiology
- DNCE 4892: Pedagogy of Dance Technique
Theater Sequence (21% of the major):
- THTR 1563: Costume Construction and Craft
- THTR 3765 Stage Lighting
- THTR 3791 Rehearsal and Performance
- THTR 4898: Senior Project (Capstone)
- Plus one of the following two:
- THTR 1561: Stagecraft
- THTR 3761: Stage Makeup
TOTAL semester hours in the MAJOR = 71 s.h.
PLUS ADDITIONAL GEN ED CREDITS = 43 s. h.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE = 8 s. h.
FREE ELECTIVES = 2 s. h.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS FOR THE DEGREE = 124 s. h.
Before declaring a major in Dance Management the student should contact the Department of Theater and Dance (phone 330-941-3810, or email theater AT ysu DOT edu) and schedule an audition. Admission to this program is limited, and will be based upon an evaluation of the dance skill level that is demonstrated at the audition.