Welcome to Youngstown State University and the College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences!
We hope that you will find a home here as you continue your academic career and our advisors hope to make the transition as smooth as possible.
How do I transfer to YSU?
- Make sure to apply to YSU and have your high school and any college or University you have attended send an official copy of your transcripts to YSU’s Admissions Office.
- You will first receive an acceptance letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. When you receive this letter call the Division of Academic Advising to make an appointment with an advisor. When you call please mention that you are an incoming transfer student.
- If you are not transfering credit for English/Writing or Math you will be required to take these placement exams at YSU prior to meeting with an advisor. An advisor will notify you if you need to take these exams at the time you call to make an appointment.
- When you come to the advisement office bring with you— a copy of your current schedule at the other institution if you are currently enrolled, a copy (they do not have to be official for advisement purposes) of your transcript if you have not yet had official transcripts sent to YSU.
Advisement Procedures for Transfer Students:
The Division of Academic Advising will complete an evaluation to distribute courses throughout the general education model (GER). It is essential that you have official transcripts sent to YSU's Undergraduate Admissions Office for this evaluation to be accurate. A copy of this evaluation will be given to you when it is completed.
All first term transfer students within CLASS must meet with an academic advisor from the Division of Academic Advising (DeBartolo Hall, Room 121/122). Please call to make an appointment 330-941-3413. You may then need to meet with the Chair of your department for additional advisement within the major level courses.
Once you are enrolled in YSU courses your advisor will be a faculty member or Chair of your department (declared majors) or a professional advisor (undetermined or Associate in Arts students).
Registration for Transfer Students:
- Once you meet with an advisor you can register via the MyYSU Portal on your appointment date or anytime after.
- If you plan to commute to YSU, please bring the liscense plate number from the back of the car that you plan to use when commuting. The liscense plate number is required to register for a parking permit.
- After registering please go to Registration area in Meshel Hall to have your YSU photo id created.