Advisors offer guidance for meeting degree requirements. The ultimate responsibility for meeting the requirements lies with the student.
Requirements for an AB (Bachelor of Arts) degree:
- Minimum of 124 sh (Math 1500, 1501, 1502, 1503, 1507; Engl 1509, 1512, 1539, 1540; RSS 1510A, 1510B, 1510C; repeated coursework, and coursework completed out of sequence will NOT count towards total hours)
- 48 sh of Upper division coursework (3700+)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- General Education Requirements (GERs)
- Foreign Language Requirement (completion up to 2600 Intermediate Level)
- Major requirements
- Official Minor requirements (Official minors are not required for students majoring in: Gerontology, Professional Writing & Editing, Public Management, or Social Studies)
Requirements for an AA (Associate in Arts Degree):
- Minimum of 64 sh (Math 1500, 1501, 1502, 1503, 1507; Engl 1509, 1512, 1539, 1540; RSS 1510A, 1510B, 1510C; repeated coursework, and coursework completed out of sequence will NOT count towards total hours)
- Completion of up to and including English 1551
- Math 2623 or other approved general education math course
- General Education (please meet with an advisor)
- Minimum of 21 sh in a concentration area (please meet with an advisor)
Important Steps as you Approach Graduation:
Request for Graduation Evaluation:
At approx. 83 sh for AB degree or 30 sh for an AA degree you should file a Request for a Graduation Evaluation (also known as a senior sheet or intent to graduate form). The Request for Graduation Evaluation can be downloaded below (PDF) or picked up from the Division of Academic Advising in DeBartolo Hall, Room 121/122. Please fill out the form and return it to the Advising Office.
Applications for graduation:
An e-mail will be sent to students the first week of the term you intend to graduate. ONLY those students who have indicated the current term as their graduation term AND who will meet the requirements for the degree by the end of the term will receive this e-mail. After you have received this e-mail from the advising office you can then follow the directions to apply for graduation online via your YSU Portal.
If you attempt to apply for graduation PRIOR to receiving the e-mail you will receive a message saying you are not eligible for graduation at this time.
If you intend to graduate and have not received an e-mail by the end of the first week of the semester please contact the Division of Academic Advising immediately. Applications must be submitted with the payment online by the end of the 3rd week of the semester.
Important Download: (two forms will be printed; please fill out only one form and submit it to the Advising Office)
Application For Graduation Evaluation (PDF)
Instructions for Applying for Graduation (pdf)